Hey Friends...sign-up for my Newsletter and get my
FREE Practice Checklist
Want to be a baseball coaching genius? Use Mini Baseball Practice Competition in your practice drills as much as possible. Players want tocompete. They want to keep score.
Whether its marbles, ping-pong, or baseball, players want to Play the game even if it is not a real game day.
Develop baseball practiceplans with drills and games that include a mini-competition withing the ball team.
Small groups of players within the team evenly divided up and going through baseball drills and working on baseball skills all incompassed under a mini-game.
The effect is that the baseball players do not even realize they are really doing a baseball workout. All the players think is they are playing a baseball game.
Anytime you are doing one of our baseball practice mini competition infield drills try to utilize the competition in every practice plan. The drill becomes a game to the baseball players.
There is no need to motivate the players because they are doing what they like to do--play a baseball game. As the baseball coach you organize the practice drill, implement the baseball drill, and manage the drill.
Do not get too bogged down in negative coaching. Let the players play the baseball practice competiton drill and just be a facilitator.
Incorporate small baseball practice competitions in the drills as much aspossible. Players are getting their reps but hardly realize it because the fundamentals are embedded in the competition.
Be careful not to overuse drills. If you are teaching a drill keep it short and sweet. Make it competitive as soon as possible.
1. Exciting Practice: Make baseball practice plans exciting, fast moving, and never boring.
2. Game Conditions: All the mini-competition games create 'game-like' conditions similar to a real game.
3. Use the Three-Team Practice Plan Template for all your practices.
As a baseball coach there are limitless ways to add baseball practice competition to all your baseball workout plans. Especially when you are able to take advantage of our Three-Team Practice Plan Template. Try to work in mini-competition games into these areas.
1. Infield Baseball Drills We have some really good ones on our site.
2. Outfield Drills Another area that we have some good baseball games for your practice plans.
3. Baseball Hitting Techniques: Often our hitting games incorporate hitting skills and drills reinforcing good baseball batting tips.
4. Baseball Conditioning; Most of the games we use have a vast amount of running involved. Especially baserunning which the players get tons of baserunning practice without even knowing it.
5. Baseball Throwing Drills: the defensive practice drill all involve lots of fielding groundballs and throwing accurately to the bases under game speed competition. This is by far the best way to practice infield drills, throwing drills.
The baseball throwing drills can be used for indoor baseball drills and all fielding drills for baseball. In summer baseball camps this is a really good way to create baseball stations using throwing drills for baseball.
I see youth league baseball players go to games and hardly ever touch the baseball. Rarely is there a really good warm-up catch and throw practice before a game. Baseball players toss a few back and forth if they are lucky.
There is rarely ever any pre game infield practice or outfield practice drills and if it is it is very limited in the baseball plays. The firstbaseman is often late getting out to the field so the infielders get very few reps between innings.
Outfielders are lucky to even take a baseball out to the outfield between innings to play catch. Many games just involve the pitcher, catcher, shortstop and a few plays at firstbase.
By the time the game time limit is up most teams have not played the full allotment of innings or they stop the game because of the mercy run rules.
Youth ballplayers in our league baseball really have little opportunity to get better. And we know the youth league kids are not practicing that much either.
That is why baseball practice is a goldmine of opportunity to improve our baseball skills and get better.
Use our three-Team baseball practice plan and use our mini baseball practice competition drills to bring the fun back to baseball. STOP the boring baseball practice drills.
Coaching 6-DVD Box Set
Coaching little league baseball & youth baseball can be a blast or could be a Tough Gig.
Who in their right mind would come back year after year and have boring baseball practice and never improve their baseball skills? and get yelled at by adults?
Baseball Coaching Videos: Watch over 6 hours of tips on coaching approach, style, philosophy, and my unique player development system.
Youth baseball careers are short-lived so lets make it count for our players. What do players really want out of playing baseball?