Whenever youth baseball practice drills are happening the drills should be upbeat, energetic, competitive and fast paced. There should be very little down time and verbal baseball teaching should be kept brief and positive.
Keep the action flowing. The last thing you want is to use one baseball. You need a bucket of baseballs hopefully a dozen and a half or more. Three or four dozen is best.
Putting the infielders in their positions and hitting a single ground ball to each individual player while waiting for the ball to get back to homeplate is BORING and a poor use of practice drill time.
1. Divide your youth baseball team into three equal skill groups. If you have a twelve person team then four on a team.
2. Have one infield drill group line up at the shortstop position in a single file line.
3. Have another infielder drill group line up behind first base in foul territory.
4. The last of the three infield drill groups put on a batting helmet and line up behind home plate.
5. Put a large bucket of baseballs next to the fungo hitter coach near home plate.An empty bucket is placed conveniently near firstbase out of harms way. You do not want to waste vital seconds each play waiting for the ball to be returned to the coach.
The infield baseball drill begins with the fungo hitting coach hitting a routine groundball to the first player in line at shortstop.
The first runner in line at home plate immediately runs to first base running through the bag. The first player in line at first base sets and prepares to catch the throw from the shortstop.
A score is kept for each baserunning group. When a batter-runner beats a throw to first base and is safe the baserunning group gets a score.
Have each of the three groups rotate in each of the three places during the baseball fielding drill.
Each group takes an equal amount of turns at each spot: shortstop for fielding and throwing drills for baseball and at firstbase for catching and fielding techniques.
And finally a turn at home plate running the bases. A final score is kept noted for the group that makes it to first base safely the most.
This fielding drill simulates baseball game like conditions. The fielders have to charge the ground ball, get rid of the ball quickly and throw an accurate throw to firstbase.
Also, the first baseman has to catch the ball while touching the base. A combination of baseball basic fundamentals that is not that easy to complete successfully.
In addition, every player gets a chance to play shortstop and firstbase. The good, the bad and the ugly, but it is the only way players can improve their defensive skills & youth baseball practice drills.
Coaching 6-DVD Box Set
Coaching little league baseball & youth baseball can be a blast or could be a Tough Gig.
Who in their right mind would come back year after year and have boring baseball practice and never improve their baseball skills? and get yelled at by adults?
Baseball Coaching Videos: Watch over 6 hours of tips on coaching approach, style, philosophy, and my unique player development system.
Youth baseball careers are short-lived so lets make it count for our players. What do players really want out of playing baseball?